Unveiling: DIY Idol King Zamasu Costume

Hello and welcome to another costuming instructable! 2022 has been the yr of costume exploration for Maine. I have made costumes for myself and others using techniques that I ne'er before considered. This time around I was asked to create a costume that resembled a early Dragonball Z character: God King Zamasu.

This existence was implausibly difficult as images for the characters were not pronto available during the dress up's creation. Despite that limitation I was able to create an AWESOME cosplay for one very lucky person. Here are the tools I misused for this job:

  • Brother Sewing Car
  • Sewing needles (machine and regularized)
  • Pins
  • Measuring Tape
  • Dress Form (so I could test fit the costume)
  • Fabric Scissors
  • Cloth Markers and Sew's Chalk

Here are the materials you will need to take this dress up...

  • Elastic (for the waistband and kick covers)
  • Single yards of Purple Spandex (for the shirt)
  • Several yards of Medium Blue Spandex (for the pants)
  • 1 1/2 yards of Light Blue Spandex (for the belt)
  • Several yards of high quality Inglorious bridal satin or polyester (for the jacket crown)
  • Several yards of sharp quality Lily-livered bridal satin or polyester (for inside the jacket crown)
  • Yellow bias OR hem tape (for the trig)
  • 1 Aureate button
  • 1 snap button (for nether the gilt push)
  • VERY STIFF Interfacing (for the protruding sleeves)
  • White Spandex OR Elongate Pleather (for the boot covers)
  • Industrial Persuasiveness Sew together Along Velcro (for the bang and kicking covers)
  • Screw thread (black, yellow, purple, noble and Andrew D. White)
  • Optional: Black Bias taping (to uncontaminating up inside edges of jacket)

Let's get cracking!

Tread 1: Shirt and Pants

PATTERNS

I have made body suits, shirts and leggings using superiority spandex so I take over some experience with form fitting garments. That being said this was still a challenging part of the costume. I used THIS pattern as a base to train my custom designs turned of (this pattern calls for knit or cotton fabric with less move over than a high quality spandex operating room stretch polyester). If you economic consumption the pattern in the link please read that you testament need to have some knowledge of adjusting size based on how much stretch your fabric has. If you do not have ANY experience with stretch fabric please use the fabric suggested on the patterns to avoid error.

SHIRT

I used a 4 way of life stretch spandex conflate with a high sheen to give this costume the surreal effect found in animation. I started with the shirt and made it longer than the rule called for so I could aline the body length based along my customer's preference. I utilized a dress form to help me keep the measurements Eastern Samoa come together to tangible life history Eastern Samoa realizable (if you do not have a dress form make sure to measure constantly and keep in mind the debase to no more stretch difference in the measurements).

I victimised a zig zag stitch to sew the shirt and pants (this allows the fabric to unfold without splitting the seams). (Here is an Illustration zig zag sewing)

PANTS

For the pants I follow the form in the Simplicity severance down for the legs. For the waist I created a rectangle whose length matched the circumference of my client's waist and whose pinnacle was 5" (so 30" by 5" just about for this build). I past folded the waist band over some elastic that was 30" past 2" roughly and sewed the seams together (do NOT sew together on the elastic). I attached the sewn seam to the top of the legs (where the waist band sits in the pattern layout) and then I sewed the ii ends together for a completed waist.

To achieve a harem look I asked for my client's calf circumference and lower wooden leg length. I measured from the bottom of the pant heavenward to where the knee was located and thin out off the bottoms of the pants. I then took in the knickers to match the circumference of my client's calf. Once narrowed, I re-attached at the knee (sewing this is tricky as on that point will be A Flock more fabric on the top than the hind end, delight refer how to pleat and/OR ruche textile as this will help keep your seams clean).

Step 2: Jacket

PATTERN

To blueprint the jacket I took several steps...

  • Step 1 was to use THIS Cheongsam evening shirt as a base pattern. I used this educated I would take up to add u length, width, remove the sleeves and create darting in the chest for a more clean shape. It was a good base and helped me learn how to adjust form based on measurements.
  • Step 2 was winning that basic shape and adding to it. I elongated the back, altered the front by creating a dual curve, create darts near the chest to accommodate muscle curvature and deepened the c-curve of the neck run along. This was cooked using spare cloth and muslin I had in my fabric bins. I STRONGLY paint a picture using save fabric when creating patterns that is either IDENTICAL or Or so the same fabric you are using for the true costume. I always have scraps just about and it's a great way to recycle excess fabric.
  • Gradation 3 involved separating the created pattern into 3 parts: the back and some English (right and liberal).
  • Step 4 was the creation of the spiky sleeves. That was actually fair simple as they are just elongated triangles. I took a rule and measure the length so I took my fabric measuring tape measure and measured the sleeve cicumference. From their I drew a pattern on some paper and tested the fit to control the proportions were accurate.

SEWING

For the jacket I used a taxing weight bridal satin and a deep weight down liner. I copied my patterns onto them so sewed the lining and outer fabric together. I used some heavy weight down bias tape with a thick, two-fold fold for the trim on the jacket.

Once the jacket was put together I copied the arm patterns onto my fabric and onto some heavy weight paper mesh (you can find this at most fabric stores). I layered the sleeves (black layer on top, mesh, and so xanthous facing) and stitched them together. I sewed the sleeves to the jacket then added the trim using the duplicate heavy weighting bias tape from the jacket's base.

The lastly abuse was grabbing a large, atomic number 79 button and sewing information technology on then adding the snap underneath that secured the top of the jacket.

Bank bill: The fabric mesh, while it strengthens/stiffens the fabric, it is NOT machine washable. You MUST use dry cleaning to clean whatsoever fabric victimization this method. An alternative method acting (that is machine washable) would comprise to use telegraph Operating theatre boning to stiffen the sleeves. Also check on the fabric itself (Satin does advisable with waterless cleaning anyways so the network method was acceptable for this build).

Step 3: Belt and Accesories

BELT

The belt was Indeed confusing for me. I made two of them before I felt comfortable with delivering a final product to my node. My most successful rap was built using 4 right smart stretch cloth that I cut into a prodigious triange then ruched/pleated the tips and added velcro to the ends of. With the back triangle all-out I past created a frontmost square and loosely pleated it then added a piece of velcro to the top corners. Finally I created a small rectangle. Here is how the belt goes unneurotic...

  • Large Triangle wraps around waist and velcros together.
  • Front line rectangle vecros to undersurface of Triangle front tips.
  • Belittled rectangle wraps around the triangle tips and over the front rectangle then velcros together at the belly button.

SHOES

For the boots I used THIS tutorial and some 2 way stretch pleather.

Tone 4: Quick Tips and Lessons Learned

Now we take in a God King Zamasu costume! Here are approximately things I learned along the way...

  • Change your needles OFTEN: When switching between adulterate/not-stretch fabrics Modify YOUR Goad!
  • Usance 4 room stretch out: TEST YOUR FABRIC! The underived fabric I purchased for the shirt began to snag when I stretched it horizontally but DID Non rip when stretch vertically. That meant the textile was Non 4 way and it was poorly successful (it also started to dust and fall apart...really weird for me). Always check your fabric before buying (reviews helper Operating room personally testing at a store).
  • Use INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH Run up On Velcro...enough said. Just faith me along this nonpareil.
  • Bias tape is your friend: I MUCH favor bias tape over ribbon operating theater spare fabric for trim. It's consistent, comes in a double crease (which fits grooves nicely) and is often offered in an array of colours.
  • If you can't make it then BUY IT OR Committee another costumer: Seriously, get into't be afraid to invite aid Beaver State look for alternative solutions.

Contented costuming!

Be the First to Share

Recommendations

  • Anything Goes Contest 2022

    Anything Goes Contest 2022